Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Just another day...

5:35.
That's when it got to me. I had left work at 5 o'clock and had made it as far as around the corner.
At 5:35 I should be home watching Friends waiting for the Office to start at 6 (hello, tv addict!).
That's when I was on the verge of tears (as you will see I have a tendency to do).

I got to Dupont station right on schedule as per my daily routine. I sit down and can't help but notice that the doors haven't practically closed on me before I can even get inside the train. You can tell something is up when you have more than half a second before the door closes on you.

Of course I sit down and I hear an announcement that the trains are on diversion, out of service, turning back, whatever... delayed. I've played this game before. I know that when service resumes there will be a backlog. I'm not even kidding when I say that it has taken 25 minutes to get from Dupont to St George when this has happened in the past. TWO STOPS! 25 MINUTES!

So I got off the train and went outside to wait for the bus to take me to Spadina. The issue was on the Yonge-University-Spadina line so if I can just get to Spadina station I can be on my way on the Bloor-Danforth line and be home to see what crazy antics Michael Scott is up to (and swoon over Jim, of course).

I get upstairs and I check the bus time. It's only going to a few minutes. Sweet. So I wait and wait and it hasn't come. Normally I would just walk to Spadina but it's winter, it was snowing and very slushy. It would have taken too long. So now I'm getting really upset but when I check the time I realized that in my original frustration I looked at the wrong hour. Whoops. That one was on me. It was going to be another 10 minutes at that point so I figured I'd go back downstairs and check again.

Maybe it's clear.

No. Silly girl.

There's one train halfway into the tunnel waiting to get the go on. It wants to leave, it was almost there... but it's still stuck. And the other train is waiting patiently to get on in there. The first train finally leaves and the second one pulls in. Time has elapsed and I have just enough time to make a quick decision. If I get on this train, I'm still only going to Spadina and transferring because I know it's going to take too long to get all the way to St. George. *One stop is all my patience can really take at this point. There's something 10x more frustrating about sitting on a train in a tunnel than all of this back and forth that I've been doing. At least I'm going somewhere.

Well, that bus was about to be there any minute and it was lookin' really good. When I hear an announcement that says there is still a problem and that trains are moving very slowly I chose the bus so I run back upstairs and that is there just on time. Almost too on time. If it wasn't for a red light, I probably wouldn't have made it.

The Office starts in 10 minutes. I'm at Spadina station. I'm going to Warden. I'm not going to make it.

Well, I get on my train and I am finally east/home bound and it's mostly easy training. I got home in time to see the last 5 minutes of The Office. It was the one when they start The Michael Scott Paper Company.

Of course, I check Twitter and I'm not the only one complaining.
@chrystinastars: #ttc is bullshit. Raise Prices and the ttc is constantly going out of service. I really hope they get their act together.
@jjuunniiee: I would like to personally thank the TTC for giving me the most excellent view of the inside of a subway tunnell for over 30 minutes

Well, at least I'm not alone...

3 comments:

  1. LOL. Worst part is, I only go two fucking stops! Lazy, yes, but I hate winter... enough to transit to work and back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The thing is that in the summer or fall that walk is nothing, but it's a completely different monster in the winter.

    That's why I didn't walk from Dupont to Spadina which I would have normally done anyway in the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Having not driven for the better part of a month, this makes me worried about my reacquaintance with the TTC on a regular basis.

    :-/

    ReplyDelete