Friday, January 8, 2010

Are we going anywhere?

So I was on the subway and I was listening to The Heroin Diaries Soundtrack by Sixx A.M. It's a CD based around the entries published in The Heroin Diaries by Nikki Sixx (from Motley Crue). There's a few songs where he reads from these entries but I gotta tell ya I skip those tracks. It's like listening to Ben Stein talk about ice cream. I mean, who doesn't get excited about ice cream right? Well, I would imagine that Ben Stein could make ice cream a little less exciting. Nikki Sixx is just as emotionless when describing horrible situations like detoxing from drugs as I imagine Ben Stein to be when describing ice cream.

I managed to stay awake during one of these robotic narrations and he says something I can relate to as a TTC rider. During Life After Death he says "But you know addicts, we think everything's about us don't we?"

WE SURE DO!

Ok, confession? I'm not an addict. Not even close. But sometimes when the train delays I start feeling like it's all about me. I mean, don't they know that I have somewhere to go? Somewhere to be? I mean, I'm late! Why are you doing this me?

Somehow, no matter what time of day I get on the subway or what direction I'm going... that's when and where there is a problem. That's why I'm pretty sure that I am partially to blame when the trains delay. It's always my train.

This happened last night. I was on my way downtown to go skating and we got to Donlands. We left the station and entered the tunnel... and then stopped. This lasted less than 5 minutes but my theory still stands true.

But this is what bothers me. I know that comparatively speaking we were not delayed that long. I've been in tunnels up to an hour more than once. When you're sitting there you don't know if it's going to end up being that long or if you're going to be on your way any minute. Even if we're only stopping for a few minutes I would love to hear an announcement telling me how long I can expect to be there. If they know it's only going to be a few minutes just say so. I'd rather hear "Sorry, we just have to stop for a minute or two and we'll be on our way" than be left waiting and wondering if I'm in for the long haul or not.

But you know impatient people, we think everything's about us don't we?

No comments:

Post a Comment